Sep 24, 2005

Goodbye Blanca


1991 to September 22, 2005 Posted by Picasa

I will become part of the trees that grow wherever my ashes are scattered, joining the ecosystem of the forest.

I will be in the slow green heartwood of the trunks as they patiently tick off the centuries, in the buds that burst forth in spring and in the leaves that explode with color in autumn. I will be the sparkle of sunlight on the surface ofa flowing mountain stream.

I will sink into the earth and mix with the groundwater, eventually flowing back and rejoining the ocean where all life on this planet ultimately began. I will be in the waves that crash on the shore, in the warm sheltered tidal pools, in the coral reefs that bloom with life, and in the depths that echo with whale songs.

I will be subducted into the planet's core and join the three-hundred-million-year cycle of the continental plates. I will rise into the sky and, in the fullness oftime , become dispersed throughout the atmosphere, until every breath will contain part of me. And billions of years from now, when our sun swells and blasts the Earth's atmosphereaway, I will be there, streaming into space to rejoin the stars that gave my atoms birth.

And perhaps some day, billions of years yet beyond that, on some distant planet beneath bright alien skies, an atom that once was part of me will take part in a series of chemical reactions that may ultimately lead to new life - life that will in time leave the sea that gave it birth, crawl up onto the beach, and look up into the cosmos and wonder where it came from.
And the cycle will begin again.

Excerpt from: http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/stardust.html

No comments:

Ruby

Ruby
PitaPata Dog tickers

Sofi

Sofi
PitaPata Dog tickers

Duke

Duke
PitaPata Dog tickers

Windsor

Windsor
PitaPata Dog tickers

TinyCat

TinyCat
PitaPata Cat tickers